8/21/2012

Vegetarian cooking: Stuffed portobello mushrooms.


Ingredients (for the mushrooms):

Portobello mushrooms (as many as you want to eat + one for the filling);
Red & green peppers (more colours are encouraged);
Onion;
Soy sausages;
Fresh ginger;
Garlic;
♥ Whichever spices you like. I used garlic, black pepper, gingercumin & garlic.

The olives are for snacking while I cook, I also had a drink which isn't in the picture (do you see my new knife? I LOVE HOW BIG IT IS, I WANT TO CHOP THINGS FOREVER).

First get the black stuff out (it has a lot of water and will make the mushrooms soggy) & the steam. I like to use a small spoon. You may destroy the mushroom on your first attempt, but you'll get better at it with time.


Put some olive-oil, garlic powder, pepper and cumin on a pan, set the mushrooms in and sprinkle some more garlic powder and cumin on them. I didn't use any salt on the mushrooms, the spices are good enough for me.


Now for the filling: just chop everything up and throw it in a pan with some olive oil and add spices. Salt should be the last spice you add because that way you'll use less and be healthier. I used garlic, cumin and pepper first, then when it was almost cooked I added the garlic (which I crushed using a garlic crusher) and some fresh ginger. I also added some soy-cream for saucy deliciousness and some oats for fibre.


When the fillings were cooked enough for my taste (about 15min on medium-high heat), I placed them on/in the mushrooms which I previously cooked in the oven for 10min at 150º.


They went in the oven for 5 more minutes just to melt the parmigiano I added (fresh).


I served the mushrooms with veganized mashed potatoes (just use soy milk and butter instead of regular) and arugula salad. 


To make this vegan skip the cheese, I used it because I had it laying around since my boyfriend isn't a vegetarian and already eats mostly vegetarian meals, I put a little cheese on things once in a while.
You can fill them with whatever vegetables you like, pineapple would have been a good idea too, maybe some cherry tomatoes, spinach, whatevs.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I'm going to whip this up for my family this afternoon. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete